Seoul, May 18 (SocialNews.XYZ) North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has convened a meeting with commanding officers of the armed forces and called for reinforcement of front-line units on the southern border, state media reported Monday.
Kim made the call Sunday in a meeting with the commanders of the army's divisions and brigades, stressing that advancement of military technology at key units, particularly front-line forces, plays a critical role in effective deterrence of war, according to the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).
It marked the first such gathering since Kim took power in late 2011.
Urging the military to continue to heighten their awareness against North Korea's "arch" enemy, the North Korean leader highlighted the country's policy of turning the southern border into an "impregnable fortress" and strengthening the front-line units.
To this end, the country plans to remodel the military organizational structure and strengthen the first-line units and other major units as an "important decision to more thoroughly deter war," Kim said, according to the KCNA report.
He also emphasised the commanders' responsibility for building the world's "strongest" military and announced a policy to reform the training system with greater focus on practical drills suited to "modern warfare."
The meeting, attended by an estimated 180-250 commanding officers, was the largest of its kind and follows a push by Pyongyang to reinforce its front-line posture. Earlier this month, Kim ordered the military to deploy a new self-propelled howitser along its southern border by the year's end.
Kim held a photo session with senior military commanders, including Ri Yong-gil, chief of the general staff of the Korean People's Army, and Pak Jong-chon, adviser to the North's defence ministry, Yonhap news agency reported.
South Korea's unification ministry said in a regular briefing that the meeting appears to emphasize the need for military modernisation and ideological discipline.
"It is also meant to serve to encourage and motivate the armed force," ministry spokesperson Yoon Min-ho said, adding, "The government will continue to closely monitor related developments."
North Korea has deployed troops near the inter-Korean border to plant mines, erect anti-tank barriers and reinforce barbed wire fences after its leader Kim declared inter-Korean ties as those between "two states hostile to each other" in late 2023.
Source: IANS
About Gopi
Gopi Adusumilli is a Programmer. He is the editor of SocialNews.XYZ and President of AGK Fire Inc.
He enjoys designing websites, developing mobile applications and publishing news articles on current events from various authenticated news sources.
When it comes to writing he likes to write about current world politics and Indian Movies. His future plans include developing SocialNews.XYZ into a News website that has no bias or judgment towards any.
He can be reached at gopi@socialnews.xyz
