Agartala, Aug 21 (SocialNews.XYZ) Tripura Chief Minister Manik Saha said on Friday that the state Cabinet has decided to bear 100 per cent of the enhanced electricity tariff approved by the Tripura Electricity Regulatory Commission (TERC), keeping the convenience of consumers as a priority.
The decision to provide 100 per cent subsidy on the increased tariff under the new tariff regime for 2026-27 will be effective from May 2026, the Chief Minister told the media.
The subsidy will cover most categories of the nearly 10 lakh electricity consumers in the state, including domestic consumers, small, medium and large businesses, traders, farmers and industries.
However, the subsidy will not cover railway traction.
In the case of defence installations, Railways, All India Radio and Doordarshan, among others, the state government will bear 15 per cent of the increased tariff, according to the decision.
The Chief Minister said the decision was taken to provide relief to the people from the burden of increased electricity bills and ensure that consumers are not adversely affected by the revised tariff.
As per the decision, consumers who have already paid their bills at the new and enhanced tariff rates will also be given relief.
The additional amount paid by such consumers will be adjusted through their electricity bills over the next three months -- September, October and November.
The adjustment will be made in a phased manner during these three months, ensuring that consumers who have already paid the increased tariff receive the benefit of the government's subsidy decision.
Earlier on Friday, Tripura Power Minister Ratan Lal Nath said the state government would provide a total subsidy of Rs 194.70 crore this year, including the subsidy of Rs 77.57 crore provided earlier.
The Minister added that no additional tariff had been imposed on consumers by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led government in Tripura between 2019 and 2023.
Nath, who also holds the Agriculture portfolio, also said that the excess amounts paid by consumers through inflated power bills would be adjusted over the next three months, from September to November.
Nearly 10 lakh electricity consumers across the state are expected to benefit from the decision, which comes after a steep rise in electricity bills, particularly due to increased fixed charges, triggered widespread public concern and political protests.
The state government's decision is expected to provide significant relief to consumers across different sectors and categories, particularly those who have already paid electricity bills based on the revised tariff.
The decision comes amid agitations by opposition parties, including the CPI-M and the Congress, and concerns among consumers over the impact of the increased electricity tariff.
The move is aimed at ensuring that the enhanced tariff does not impose an additional financial burden on the people of Tripura.
The Left and other opposition parties had targeted the BJP-led government over the tariff revision and demanded relief for consumers.
They organised a series of agitations and protest rallies across the state over the past couple of months in protest against the steep rise in power tariffs.
Source: IANS
About Gopi
Gopi Adusumilli is a Programmer. He is the editor of SocialNews.XYZ and President of AGK Fire Inc.
He enjoys designing websites, developing mobile applications and publishing news articles on current events from various authenticated news sources.
When it comes to writing he likes to write about current world politics and Indian Movies. His future plans include developing SocialNews.XYZ into a News website that has no bias or judgment towards any.
He can be reached at gopi@socialnews.xyz
