Madrid, Jan 14 (IANS) Romania's Simona Halep continued to lead the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) rankings released on Monday with 6,642 points, followed by Germany's Angelique Kerber.
Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark remained in the third spot in this week's rankings, ahead of Japan's Naomi Osaka and US' Sloane Stephens, reports Efe news.
Meanwhile, Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic climbed two spots to world No. 6 following her victory at the Sydney International on Saturday, pushing Ukraine's Elina Svitolina and her compatriot Karolina Pliskova into seventh and eighth spots respectively.
Further down the rankings, American Sofia Kenin rocketed 19 positions to the 37th after winning the Hobart International title on Saturday while Anna Karolina Schmiedlova of Slovakia jumped 18 spots to world No. 59 after becoming a runner-up at the same tournament.
The current WTA rankings and point scores are as follows:
- Simona Halep (Romania) 6,642 points
- Angelique Kerber (Germany) 5,505
- Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark) 5,436
- Naomi Osaka (Japan) 5,270
- Sloane Stephens (US) 5,077
- Petra Kvitova (Czech Republic) 5,000
- Elina Svitolina (Ukraine) 4,940
- Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 4,750
- Kiki Bertens (Netherlands) 4,490
- Daria Kasatkina (Russia) 3,415.