Categories: NationalPolitics

Concerns addressed, safety assured after talks with Meghalaya: Assam CM

Concerns addressed, safety assured after talks with Meghalaya: Assam CM

Guwahati, Aug 22 (SocialNews.XYZ) Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Saturday welcomed the outcome of the high‑level Assam‑Meghalaya meeting held in Guwahati following the recent violence in Shillong, saying the concerns and sentiments of the people of Assam had been “duly acknowledged and addressed.”

Sarma said the meeting followed his conversation with Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma over the “unfortunate incidents” in Shillong and expressed confidence that the understanding reached between the two states would help restore normalcy at the earliest.

 

“Following my conversation with Shri Conrad Sangma after the unfortunate incidents in Shillong, representatives of both States, led by Hon’ble Minister Shri Atul Bora and Hon’ble Deputy Chief Minister of Meghalaya Shri Sniawbhalang Dhar, met today in Guwahati,” Sarma said in a post on X.

The Assam Chief Minister welcomed the Meghalaya government’s decision to constitute a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the incidents and arrest those allegedly responsible for the violence. “The constitution of a Special Investigation Team by the Meghalaya Government, along with the arrest of those responsible, are steps in the right direction,” he said.

Sarma also highlighted Meghalaya's assurances on the safety and unhindered movement of people and vehicles from Assam. The issue gained significance after the August 19 violence in Shillong during a Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) black‑flag rally, when vehicles carrying tourists from Assam were allegedly attacked, triggering concerns over visitor safety and tensions between the neighbouring states.

The Assam government subsequently raised concerns over the security of Assam‑bound travellers and vehicles and sought concrete measures from Meghalaya to prevent recurrence of such incidents. Sarma said the commitments made during Saturday’s meeting were reassuring and expressed hope they would translate into effective measures on the ground.

“Equally reassuring are the firm commitments made for the safety and unhindered movement of people and vehicles from Assam,” he said.

Emphasising the broader relationship between the two northeastern states, Sarma said Assam and Meghalaya share more than just a geographical boundary. “Assam and Meghalaya share a border, a history, and an enduring bond of sisterhood,” he said.

He said the understanding reached during the meeting, backed by firm commitments from both sides, would help ease tensions and strengthen relations between the people of Assam and Meghalaya. “I am confident that today’s understanding, backed by firm commitments on the ground, will restore normalcy at the earliest and further strengthen the close ties between our people,” Sarma said.

Senior officials from both states attended the Guwahati meeting, which focused on security, compensation and restoring normal movement following the Shillong incidents. The discussions are expected to pave the way for greater coordination between the two governments to prevent further escalation and ensure the safety of people travelling between Assam and Meghalaya.

The latest development comes as both states seek to contain tensions and ensure that the recent incidents do not affect longstanding social, economic and people‑to‑people ties between Assam and Meghalaya.

Source: IANS

Facebook Comments

About Gopi

Gopi Adusumilli is a Programmer. He is the editor of SocialNews.XYZ and President of AGK Fire Inc.

He enjoys designing websites, developing mobile applications and publishing news articles on current events from various authenticated news sources.

When it comes to writing he likes to write about current world politics and Indian Movies. His future plans include developing SocialNews.XYZ into a News website that has no bias or judgment towards any.

He can be reached at gopi@socialnews.xyz

Share