Categories: NationalPoliticsTop

Decision is Jahangir’s personal call, says Trinamool as Falta candidate pulls out of contest (Ld)

Decision is Jahangir's personal call, says Trinamool as Falta candidate pulls out of contest (Ld)

Kolkata, May 19 (SocialNews.XYZ) Just two days before the re-election in Falta Assembly constituency in South 24 Parganas district, Trinamool Congress candidate Jahangir Khan said he will not contest the election. However, the Trinamool has categorically stated that this decision is Jahangir's personal call and not the party's directive.

On the last day of campaigning on Tuesday, Jahangir announced, "I am not contesting this election." However, an insider from West Bengal Chief Electoral Officer's office said that whatever Khan might say, his name will remain as a Trinamool Congress candidate in the re-election and his name will continue to appear on the EVM.

 

However, an insider from West Bengal Chief Electoral Officer's office said that whatever Khan might say, his name will remain as a Trinamool Congress candidate in the re-election and his name will continue to appear on the EVM.

“Polling for the Falta Assembly constituency had been conducted once on April 29. On May 21, it will be just a re-poll. So, no other thing changes including the candidates appearing for the election from Falta,” said the CEO’s office insider.

Jahangir did not clarify whether there is any directive from party leader Abhishek Banerjee or the top leadership of the Trinamool behind this decision. However, the Trinamool has categorically stated that this decision is Jahangir's personal call and not the party's directive.

At a press conference on Tuesday morning, Jahangir said, "Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari has announced a special package for the development of Falta. I am withdrawing from this election."

However, the date for withdrawal of nominations has passed. Even if he does not contest, the button in Jahangir's name will remain on the EVM. On the other hand, Chief Minister Adhikari is holding a 'road show' in Falta today. After Jahangir's announcement, BJP workers and supporters were seen celebrating with saffron 'gulal'.

Jahangir further said, "I am the son of Falta. I want Falta to be in peace, be healthy and be good. Let there be more and more development in Falta. My dream was to have a golden Falta. That is why our honourable Chief Minister is giving a special package for the development of Falta. That is why I distanced myself from the re-election that is on May 21."

He concluded by saying, "In the interest of Falta's development, for the people of Falta, I am withdrawing (from the election). I have answered many questions so far. I will not say anything more."

The last phase of the state's Assembly elections was held on April 29. There were allegations of irregularities in several booths in Falta Assembly constituency.

The Election Commission received allegations of perfume, ink, and tape being used on EVMs. Suvendu Adhikari himself demanded re-election.

Ultimately, the BJP seized power in the state for the first time with a huge majority.

Since then, Jahangir, who was seen campaigning across South 24 Parganas district, has not been seen canvassing for the Falta Assembly constituency re-election.

It may be noted that Jahangir approached the Calcutta High Court on Monday seeking protection against arrest.

Following today's development, the Trinamool Congress said that it was Jahangir's personal decision and not the party's.

"The decision taken by Jahangir Khan to withdraw from the Falta re-poll is his personal decision and not that of the party. Since the election results were declared on May 4, more than 100 of our party workers have been arrested in Falta AC alone. Several party offices have been vandalised, shut down and forcibly captured in broad daylight through intimidation, while the EC continues to turn a blind eye despite repeated complaints," the party said in a X post.

"Even in the face of such pressure, our workers remain rock-solid and continue to resist the BJP’s intimidation unleashed through agencies and the administration. However, some eventually succumbed to the pressure and chose to step away from the field. We strongly condemn this. Our fight against the Bangla Birodhi BJP will continue, both in West Bengal and in Delhi," it said.

Source: IANS

Facebook Comments

About Gopi

Gopi Adusumilli is a Programmer. He is the editor of SocialNews.XYZ and President of AGK Fire Inc.

He enjoys designing websites, developing mobile applications and publishing news articles on current events from various authenticated news sources.

When it comes to writing he likes to write about current world politics and Indian Movies. His future plans include developing SocialNews.XYZ into a News website that has no bias or judgment towards any.

He can be reached at gopi@socialnews.xyz

Share